Monday, September 12, 2011

Enjoy A Nice BIG Plate of Inspiration

I love negaitive space! This is no secret. If you look at my work or my office you would be able to concur that I am super organized and I like clean. Something about the void stirs things up in my brain. I react positively to it.

My thesis work was using negative space as a vehicle to communicate emotion. It literally set the stage. When I reflect back on this now it sounds kind of sad but it wasn't that way in my head.

Anyway, I was reading some of my favorite art blogs today and noticed that Hiroshi Sugimoto has new work up at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art. His work is so lovely. His images are clean, present and, at times, empty. Take that for whatever it's worth because this is my opinion.
His new work is images of ligtning. COMPLETELY BEAUTIFUL.


Although I am not a photographer it does make me want to pick up the camera and have at it. The combination of line, contrast and graceful abstraction makes these images spectacular. Truthfully the formal qualities are just one part of why I love these new pieces. I could go on and on but you get the point. If you discover he is showing some place near you then you must take the time to go. He will deliver inspiration with ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment