Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Stop being responsible





I work at a small art college and in my current position I work with students, staff and faculty. Today a faculty member came into my office and saw this painting I made in 2007:

I brought it in to replace a larger piece on my office wall. Anyway, he said: "This painting is lovely. Is it new? You should paint more." To which I replied, "No, its older and I would LOVE to paint more if I didn't have to work all day and then go home and take care of a toddler." Oh if only I had the time and money, my friend. My ass would have work in the Whitney Biennial by now.



The best part of this conversation was when he said, "You need to quit this job. You're too responsible. Stop being so responsible and paint." I almost started to cry because it's ALL I WANT TO DO. Sadly, I have bills to pay and a family to support. I can't be irresponsible.



But I just want to make things. I wan to P A I N T ! ! ! ! !



If anyone reading this is wealthy and willing to support an amazing artist please comment. Be sure to leave your contact information and I will be your art slave forever as long as you pay me a small salary and pay off my student loans. Reasonable.



I'm totally grounded in reality today.

No comments:

Post a Comment